NYC LIFE: NEW YORK CARES VOLUNTEERING

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Last week I was in my element when I spent half a day volunteering as part of the New York Cares program. Nothing makes me happier than giving back and helping people after all smiles are priceless. When this program was brought to my attention I signed up on the website, attended a 1 hour orientation session then ey presto! I was good to go.

On the website there's hundreds of projects to choose from such as reading bedtime stories to children, planting trees, jewellery making. Something for everybody. I decided I'd have a go at sorting clothes in a Housing Works warehouse. Being a shopoholic may slightly have influenced my decision, I'm not gonna lie lol. Housing works has thrift stores (charity shops for my UK people) all across NY, their proceeds going to helping people homeless people that are living with AIDS. Sounded good to me!!



On the day I caught the 7 train to the Warehouse in Queens. I had no idea what to expect when I first got there, but  thankfully everyone was warm and enthusiastic. The warehouse was full to the brim of donated second hand clothes, shoes and bags. I've never seen anything quite like it.



 
I was assigned the task of putting coats on hangers.

The clothes that I hung up

Whilst I was there I made friends with Crystal and Marsha to very animated talkative characters. They were hilarious.

Crystal (back) Marsha (Front) and the green tees
Marsha and I
The earrings and I

I feel I made positive contribution by being there, although I was only hanging up clothes the energy that I took to complete the task will in the long run help somebody in need. Its what they call the 'ripple effect'. I'll definitely will being do another project so time soon. Watch this space.

1 comments:

Femi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You inspire me, a true and sincere bundle of positive energy!

Post a Comment

A BIG thank YOU for leaving a comment, your views are valued.

I try best to respond to every comment that contains a question. Negative comments will be deleted, so spread love not hate.

- Selina ❤