NYC LIFE: A NIGHT WITH JESSE BOYKINS III

Friday 20 May 2011

Anyone that knows me, knows I LOVE Jesse Boykins. I found him accidentally one day just browsing random youtube videos, as you do. I've been hooked ever since.  I would describe him as having a cool relaxed Dwele vibe fused with sensual Brian Mcknight lyrics, fused with a slick sexy Joe voice. Sounds epic right?, yeh I know.

When my girl told me he was doing a free show in NYC. I had to be there.



I've seen him live once before in Cargo, London sometime last year. I was lets just say, extremely tipsy, so I remember that night vaguely. All I know is that I had a few too many Rosé's and I was in the audience screaming from the pit of my belly like a crazy groupie in a practically silent crowd. People were giving me the side eye the whole night lol. When you watch video's of that show you can actually hear me, mega embarrassing. I totally blame it on the alcohol, ain't got nothing to do with me lol. So, this was the perfect opportunity to see him again, sober.

The night was in aid of Suit Dreams, an initiative that's set up to provide suits to Black young men in Brooklyn that have completed high school but don't have a suit to wear to their graduation prom. As part of the program the young people are also mentored by top business men who encourage and guide them in pursuing their dreams. Its a beautiful concept.

I printed out my google map directions and hooked up with Ba'Ra and we made our way (with great difficulty) to the venue. The event was held at Katra Lounge




We got to the venue around 8 ish, to find Jesse Boykins standing outside, I saw him and my knees got wobbly and butterflies zoomed around in my belly. Ba'Ra told me acting a "straight up fool" lol - you gotta love hes bluntness lol. You've probably already gathered that I think Jesse Boykins is SEXY, my crush on him is simply ridiculous lol.

The club had a warm Moroccan vibe going on, it was filled with handsome men in sharp suit that made me wish I had dressed up, oh well. Inside was packed and the atmosphere was pleasant. For a while Ba'Ra and I just hung around, navigating our way through the herds of people. We discovered there was a downstairs that was even more ram then upstairs, it was bit too much so we went back up. And there he was, standing in the VIP area, Jesse Boykins. Ba'Ra told me to go ask him for a picture, after a bit of hesitation and him dragging me to Jesse, I went.

I went over and I shyly asked Jesse for a photo he said "Aint you that girl from London?" -  it was definately a 'floor just swallow me up moment' the embarrassment was too much lol. I suppose the positive side of it is that he remembered me (even if it I was in my drunken state). We took a photo.

I look a bit busted, but we make a cute couple
Ba'Ra chilling on the red cushions
He's show was amazing. Like always he was full of energy and had me questioning why he is such an underrated artist. Along side he live band he performed 'Prototype', 'Amorous', 'Itis', "Pantyhose' and quite a few other tracks. Part way through the show he came into the audience and sang to me, OH MY LIFE - I nearly died.

The girl he brought on stage - totally feeling her style
 

Overall, I had a great time, beautiful company (Ba'Ra), beautiful men, beautiful music and beautiful New York City. What more could I girl ask for?
y
y
y

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A BIG thank YOU for leaving a comment, your views are valued.

I try best to respond to every comment that contains a question. Negative comments will be deleted, so spread love not hate.

- Selina ❤